Sorting Fiction and Nonfiction Books
- Inquiry Skills: Investigate
- States the difference between fiction and nonfiction resources
- Distinguishes between fiction and nonfiction books
- Inquiry Dispositions: Effective Social Interaction to Broaden Understanding
- Works in groups to create and evaluate simple information products
- Language and Literacy
- Reads for understanding
1 long session (45 minutes) or 2 shorter sessions
- 10 fiction books
- 10 nonfiction books
- Prepared storybook (see directions)
This lesson should come after students have been introduced to fiction and nonfiction. To prepare for this session, use a Powerpoint story template such as the ones available through Curiosity Creek to create a story for children that incorporates both fiction and nonfiction.
- Place about 20 easy-to-read fiction and nonfiction books on a table for children.
- Ask students to sort the books into a fiction pile and a nonfiction pile. (Sorting also ties to math)
- When this activity is complete, have children give their reasons for each sort, thus reviewing what they learned about the differences between fiction and nonfiction.
- Next, explain that books are not always either all fiction or all nonfiction. Some books contain real facts but in a fictional story. Read aloud the children's story you prepared that includes both fiction and nonfiction elements. Have children just listen the first time you read it.
- Re-read your story but this time ask children to raise their hands to signal that they heard something that was either fiction or nonfiction.
- Are students able to successfully classify books into fiction and nonfiction?
- Can students adequately explain their rationale for sorting?
- Can students pick out both the fictional and factual elements of a story?
This lesson plan presented by Denise Bieniek
AASL Standards for the 21st Century Learner
Next Generation Science Standards
Common Core Connections
• Reading for information
• Recognizing fiction and nonfiction resources
• Language and Literacy
• 1st Grade
• 2nd Grade